Easy RPM creation

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Jul 2 20:52:53 MDT 2007

Bart Whiteley wrote:
> Bite the bullet and build proper RPMs.  It will require the least
> effort in
> the long run.

I don't really think that's true in my situation. Bare in mind that I'm
building from binaries, not source, so I have to write so much bash per
project to bundle up the tar file in the right place and extract version
info and such that it's getting to be too much. Also, I don't want the
people who will be maintaining these RPM's to have to know all the ins
and outs (and warts) of RPM. Before you respond with, "well your build
process is broken then," bare in mind that I can do a build for each of
these projects in one step, but that it takes a lot of ground work to
prepare all the files for RPM packaging.

So, back to the question: are there any tools out there that aim to ease
RPM creation? I've taken a look at RPM Workshop, RUST, Autospec, and
checkinstall, and they are all either very old, unmaintained, or not
quite what I need (or all of the above). What I want is the ability to
make a very simple manifest and a tarball with the dist files, and feed
it to a tool to generate the binary rpm. That'd be super!

--Dave