2 Distro Recommendations?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Jan 31 20:10:18 MST 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 at 18:03 -0700, Steve wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I got a Mac today that I plan to configure for dual boot, and I want
> to retire my current Linux Box.
>
> My goal for the existing linux box is to turn it into a Network
> Attached Storage Device for my LAN.
> The ideal distro for the retired box would be one specialized for
> usage as a NAS, have a small diskspace footprint, and preferably be
> able to run (if not install), headless.

Debian. Not specialized, but small footprint (if you like) and it's not
all that hard to set up an smb share or nfs or
pick-your-favorite-network-filesystem.

> The retired box has 1GB of RAM, so a live CD would be a real
> possibility for it, so we could maximize disk utilization.

Maybe. Just make sure your live CD loads the entire filesystem into RAM
and jettisons the CD (a NAS-specific would be able to do this),
otherwise you still have the potential for Very SlowTM (if not
frequently slow, occasionally slow and we all know that occasionally ==
exactly when it's least convenient). Is disk space so precious you can't
donate 512MB to 1G to the OS?

> Now the other recommendation I'm looking for, is a good distro for
> this shiny new Mac In a Box.  The Mac Mini, has a dual core Intel CPU
> and a Gig of RAM.  But I'm not sure what Linux Distro's will play nice
> with Macs.  Ideally I'ld like a version that virtualizes well, so I
> can run it concurrent with OSX.  But I'm not opposed to a triple boot
> configuration (I program for a living, and this is technically a "work
> computer", so I need to compile and test on all 3 platforms) if thats
> the only way to go here.

I don't see any Linux distro virtualizing poorly, and certainly no more
poorly or better than any other distro. The kernel would be your
interface to virtualization. If you're going to triple boot, I've found
Ubuntu works just fine on my MacBook (I don't remember if there are any
minor hardware issues - I only use it occasionally in linux and all the
major stuff (video, wireless, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach