2 Distro Recommendations?

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 19:05:35 MST 2007

> My goal for the existing linux box is to turn it into a Network
> Attached Storage Device for my LAN.
> The ideal distro for the retired box would be one specialized for
> usage as a NAS, have a small diskspace footprint, and preferably be
> able to run (if not install), headless.

Ubuntu server.  I ran a headless version of this and it worked fairly
well, and that was 3 releases ago.  I can only imagine that it has
gotten better since then.

> The retired box has 1GB of RAM, so a live CD would be a real
> possibility for it, so we could maximize disk utilization.

The live CD for the new Ubuntu (Edgy) is pretty slick, or I also
always recommend Knoppix.

> Now the other recommendation I'm looking for, is a good distro for
> this shiny new Mac In a Box.  The Mac Mini, has a dual core Intel CPU
> and a Gig of RAM.  But I'm not sure what Linux Distro's will play nice
> with Macs.  Ideally I'ld like a version that virtualizes well, so I
> can run it concurrent with OSX.  But I'm not opposed to a triple boot
> configuration (I program for a living, and this is technically a "work
> computer", so I need to compile and test on all 3 platforms) if thats
> the only way to go here.

So far I've had an excellent experience with Ubuntu in VMWare's Fusion
player for Mac at work.  Installation was a breeze, VMWare's tools
installed (with minor tweaking of the xorg.conf to use VMWare's mouse
driver (which plays very nicely with my Mighty Mouse).  Drag and drop
between OSX and Ubuntu works seamlessly.  I'm probably going to
install it on my MacBook as soon as I finish a project for school.

--snip--

> p.s. Is there an OSX user group in the state I could look into for
> asking Mac specific stuff?

The BYU Mac Users Group has been a great resource for me switching
from Linux to Mac in the last 5 months.

Did I mention that I like Ubuntu??? :-p

--
Alex Esplin