A useful resource: Goodbye, Microsoft(r)

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 16:49:11 MST 2007

DirectX is a tool of convience, and is more like SDL + OpenGL than OpenGL alone.
As a consequence you could technically develop a game considerably
faster than with OpenGL alone.  But then you are stuck with a windows
only game and if you planned to port to a console, such as PS3, Wii or
even to a lesser extent XBox, then it requires a complete re-write of
major sections of code.

However. with SDL being as stable as it is, there is no reason a
developer could not write the game for SDL and OpenGL in the beginning
and have it run pretty much the same on all platforms.

Also there is no DirectX for Macintosh.  The "MacinUser" is considered
a lucrative demographic and game buying demographic by developers and
publishers alike, and at least with the games I've seen, there's not
much needed to get a Mac game to run under Linux.
Sometimes its a simple recompile.

There is also now a huge indie game developer movement, and with
Microsofts XNA initiative, pushing those aspiring devs towards M$ lock
in, there has never been a better time than right now, to let game
publishers and developers know you'ld preffer a Linux version (or heck
even a Mac version), of the game.

Regards,