A useful resource: Goodbye, Microsoft(r)

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 15:59:48 MST 2007

Just my 2 cents but I think Linux would make a fantastic gaming
platform, if three things would happen.

#1 Linux game players would donate to the "free games projects" that
crop up and  produce good quality games.  And let them know "Hey I'm
donating x dollars because you made a great game and thats what I
would have paid for it in a store.

#2 Having developers make Linux ports of their games as their being
developed.  One good way to encourage this,  is to let a developer of
a game you choose not to buy because it wasn't available for your
platform, well let them know you didn't buy and instead did #1

#3 Linux users buy titles that get released natively for Linux, and
let the developers know (Hey I bought your game because you made it
for Linux too, thanks!)

As a game developer I see a real market for Linux games, but most
others in the game dev community view Linux as a server only, if they
think of it at all.  Things like Cedega don't really help the
situation very much, since a developer can just say "Hey it runs on
this Cedega thing, so that should be good enough".  You know their
motto used to be "Preventing Native Ports!"

However I do predict that the lucrative and loyal demographic that is
the Mac OSX market will be enough to motivate developers to port their
games to Mac and from their it's sometimes as little as a recompile to
get your game working under linux.

Anyways like I said thats just my 2 cents.

Regards,