Job Posting - flames invited

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Tue Jan 30 14:28:25 MST 2007

I am going to post a job opportunity. For the new members, in the past
such posting have been met with flames often enough for it to become
somewhat of an unspoken tradition and a joke.

The job is for a database start-up company in the Bay Area I have been
consulting for. I am not sure if they are 100% comfortable with me
revealing too much detail, so if you want to know details, apply for
the job. They are looking for a full-time IT person. The position
would require relocation. They will pay up to 10 K of relocation
costs. I personally do like working with them, or otherwise I would
not be posting a position (although, for full disclosure, I do get a
finders fee). You will get to work with Linux a lot. There will be
some standard Windows desktop maintenance. There is something that
this group would consider an abomination  - Exchange Server, but it
could possibly be replaced if you can come up with a convincing
reason. They are a start-up and I find them quite flexible. If you can
propose and demonstrate a superior technology for solving any
particular problem, they will take it.

If you are interested, send me your resume to sasha at asksasha.com in
some reasonable Linux-readable format - now just about anything works,
but I still prefer plain text .

Also, if you are good with C/C++, Linux kernel, have worked on the
internals of a database in the past, have some other comparable
credentials, and look forward to/would not mind if properly
compensated living in the Bay Area, send me your resume too. They are
looking for solid low-level programmers as well.

Below is the formal description of the IT position:

Systems Administrator

The Systems Administrator's role is to ensure the stability,
integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems
that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by
monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked
software and associated operating systems. The Systems Administrator
will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving
skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to
maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.

Duties and Responsibilities:

1.Manages servers in an Active Directory and NIS environment, ensuring
that each server has 100% uptime
2.Provide help desk support to end users.
3.Network design, implementation and support
4.Support Nortel BCM phone systems
5.Develop disaster recovery process
6.Maintains a broad knowledge of operating systems and hardware
7.Monitor system logs and activity on all servers and devices

Requirements:

1.3-5 years experience in Systems/Network Administration
2.Good project management and planning skills
3.Knowledge of TCP/IP stacks and their functionalities
4.Advanced knowledge and troubleshooting of Windows 2003, Windows XP
and Linux (RedHat)
5.Knowledge of Cisco Firewalls, Cisco VPN concentrators, Voice over IP
and Networking
6.Knowledge and troubleshooting of Microsoft Exchange 2003
7.Working knowledge of network application security, understanding of
vulnerabilities and countermeasures
8.Ability and desire to learn new skills quickly
9.Effectively communicate issues and resolutions to all levels of the
organization

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting