A useful resource: Goodbye, Microsoft(r)

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Tue Jan 30 01:48:18 MST 2007

"Hill, Greg" <grhill at corp.untd.com> writes:
> This same argument is made every time a new console comes out, yet
> there's still a huge PC gaming market (the PS1 was supposed to kill PC
> games, the PS2 as well, and the Xbox, and the Wii, and the PS3).  I also
> don't see hi-def as a big selling point, since most people don't own
> hi-def TVs, but maybe some people are trying to be 'future-proof'.
> People who prefer PCs aren't going to suddenly switch to consoles, and
> vice-versa.  There will be some people who play both, and a few might
> switch, but overall the markets haven't changed a lot in many years and
> there's no sign that they will this time either.

All computer owners have at least one hi-def monitor, and it's
connected to the computer.  Sure, it's probably not as big as the one
they watch TV on, but it's probably cheaper to buy a half-decent video
card for the PC than to buy the latest console gaming machine.  So, as
you say, PC games will continue to live happily alongside their
console brethren for many years to come.

                 --Levi