A useful resource: Goodbye, Microsoft(r)

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:07:12 MST 2007

On 1/30/07, Hill, Greg <grhill at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> This same argument is made every time a new console comes out, yet
> there's still a huge PC gaming market (the PS1 was supposed to kill PC
> games, the PS2 as well, and the Xbox, and the Wii, and the PS3).

Maybe someone can find some hard numbers on the growth of console
games and sales numbers versus traditional pc gaming.

>  I also
> don't see hi-def as a big selling point, since most people don't own
> hi-def TVs, but maybe some people are trying to be 'future-proof'.

This made me think...... I don't know anyone who doesn't own a hi-def
tv except for maybe you :).  Maybe I live in fantasy land.

> People who prefer PCs aren't going to suddenly switch to consoles, and
> vice-versa.  There will be some people who play both, and a few might
> switch, but overall the markets haven't changed a lot in many years and
> there's no sign that they will this time either.

Again, no real numbers here but its hard to argue console gaming is
not bigger than pc gaming nowadays.  How many ads do you see on tv and
magazines for pc games versus console games?

I don't think console gaming will ever replace RPG or MMORPG games.