Going 64 bit

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:05:19 MST 2007

> Anyway, the EPIC idea behind the Itanium is certainly an interesting
> one, though I fear that the increasing move towards dynamic languages
> could cause even more problems with an architecture that relies so
> much on smart compilers.
>
>                 --Levi

???, I would think that "high-level" languages would have a major
advantage in these cases.  Porting your language runtime would be a
beast, but once you've done so, all of the software written in that
language would be usable and optimized for the target arch.  The
people who are more likely to feel the pain are low-level language
users.  You have to port your compiler and then you have to port a
large portion of the software written in said language.

Apple did an amazing job moving Aqua from PPC to x86_64, but it still
took infinitely longer than a dynamic language would take (that is, it
would take 0 seconds to port).  In this example the
compilers/interpreters/runtimes already existed for both platforms so
that factor doesn't apply.

-Bryan