Going 64 bit

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 16:43:30 MST 2007

On 1/24/07, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> Joshua, the one who said "AMD 64 or true 64?" says this:
>
> > "dataw0lf (Joshua Simpson) proudly takes that position, and you can
> > speak with him at your leisure on IRC. However, he was responding on
> > the UPHPU post, and since he isn't subscribed to PLUG anymore, he
> > declines to respond in detail here. However, he refutes the assertion
> > that he is a "numbnuts", in point of fact, his nuts are fairly sensitive."
>
> You can find him on Freenode's #UPHPU, #UTAH, and probably other channels.

Thanks for the heads up.  I assert that Joshua has no sensitivity down
there and hasn't a clue of what he's talking about.  AMD64 is a TRUE
64-bit processor, the fact that it can also execute 32-bit
instructions (natively, there is no emulation), doesn't change a
thing.  Does the fact that your P4 is capable of running a 16-bit DOS
app natively make it less of a 32-bit proc?  The x86_64 instruction
set, is a true RISC-based, 64-bit, instruction set -- end of story.

As is happens, the sparc processor is also able to run both 32-bit and
64-bit instructions.  This is a common design.

-Bryan