Amanda configuration

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jan 26 16:27:53 MST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 01:24:57PM -0700, Daniel wrote:
> I am trying to backup my webservers using Amanda.  I am using the
> AMANDA chapter in the O'reilly book Unix Backup & Recovery.  It
> mentions an amanda-client.conf file.  I have installed amanda-client
> on the client machine, but I don't see it there.  Am I supposed to
> create it?  If so is there an example file I can look at?

Preston's book was published in November, 1999, and has very old
information on Amanda. A new edition has just been released which I
haven't seen. It is retitled Backup & Recovery, as it now includes
Windows. The older edition is generally useful, but for specifics you
should consult the Amanda docs. See Amanda.org or your local copies.

As for amanda-client.conf, I don't have it on my systems that are
Amanda clients. Perhaps you mean amanda.conf? That is provided in the
server package, and configures the server.

On the client, you need to set up your .amhosts. Once you have that,
and an appropriate entry in amanda.conf, run amcheck on the server
until amcheck reports no errors. You may need to open up fire wall
ports, etc.