Using Tomcat with Apache

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jan 25 05:59:59 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 22:53 -0700, Mike Heath wrote:
> mod_jk has been deprecated as of Apache 2.2.  With Apache 2.2 you can
> just use mod_proxy.  You can read more about it at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html .  Of course, we
> have little reason to front Tomcat with Apache.  Tomcat runs fine on its
> own.

That's good to know.  I have had significant problems using mod_proxy
and tomcat with Apache 2.0.  Basically it amounted to Tomcat using a
weird character to indicate the start of URL parameters (something other
than "?") and that was making mod_proxy choke.  After switching to
mod_jk, it all worked.  Never was sure why tomcat was using the
non-standard character in the urls.  mod_proxy is cleaner and easier in
many situations than mod_jk if it works.

Michael