[UPHPU] Re: Going 64 bit

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Wed Jan 24 12:59:30 MST 2007

Bryan Petty wrote:

> Putting the topic of hardware aside, what distro are you planning on
> using? I have an AMD64 system that I've had a 64bit kernel running on
> for some time now, and had I known what issues I was going to run into
> when I first set it up, I would have stuck with a 32bit kernel running
> on a 64bit processor. There isn't any performance gain by running
> 64bit, and if this was one year ago, I would have warned you to stay
> away from switching to a 64bit kernel (That's fine using a 64bit
> processor like the AMD64 you're going with, but still running a 32bit
> kernel, nothing wrong with that).
>
> You're lucky to not have to deal with Adobe putting off an AMD64 flash
> release for 2+ years anymore (they just barely resolved that issue),
> or also dealing with playing WMV or other win32codec videos for which
> you needed to run a 32bit binary of mplayer under emulation to play
> those videos (ffmpeg has made major advances in this area lately as
> well though, and can play most of those codecs natively now).
>
> Without any performance gain, and all these issues coming up that you
> had to deal with, it was not worth it unless you needed the 64bit
> kernel for the RAM address space (you don't have over 4GB of ram do
> you?). Under linux, this wasn't nearly as bad compared with people
> experimenting with 64bit Windows having all sorts of issues with
> hardware drivers, but reason enough to stay away from the fiasco.

I intentionally waited for 64 bit to be out for a few years before
migrating.  I'll still have my 32 bit system with Windows XP.  I've been
dual booting SuSE 10.x on that machine, so I'll move the Linux install
to the new pc.  I'll test a few distros, starting with SuSE, Ubuntu,
Fedora, and FreeBSD (I know, FreeBSD is Unix, not Linux).  Although it's
overkill for a webserver (many still use 800 mhz or less processor-based
systems), I'll probably test web serving on it via LAMP.

I do not plan to test Windows on it at all.  The only thing that keeps
me running Windows are the proprietary games made only for Windows.
Next purchase: Oblivion ;).

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org