Going 64 bit

Bryan Petty etierra at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:16:22 MST 2007

On 1/23/07, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> Forgive the cross-post to UPHPU and PLUG, please.  I'm going 64 bit!
> Any recomendations?

Putting the topic of hardware aside, what distro are you planning on
using? I have an AMD64 system that I've had a 64bit kernel running on
for some time now, and had I known what issues I was going to run into
when I first set it up, I would have stuck with a 32bit kernel running
on a 64bit processor. There isn't any performance gain by running
64bit, and if this was one year ago, I would have warned you to stay
away from switching to a 64bit kernel (That's fine using a 64bit
processor like the AMD64 you're going with, but still running a 32bit
kernel, nothing wrong with that).

You're lucky to not have to deal with Adobe putting off an AMD64 flash
release for 2+ years anymore (they just barely resolved that issue),
or also dealing with playing WMV or other win32codec videos for which
you needed to run a 32bit binary of mplayer under emulation to play
those videos (ffmpeg has made major advances in this area lately as
well though, and can play most of those codecs natively now).

Without any performance gain, and all these issues coming up that you
had to deal with, it was not worth it unless you needed the 64bit
kernel for the RAM address space (you don't have over 4GB of ram do
you?). Under linux, this wasn't nearly as bad compared with people
experimenting with 64bit Windows having all sorts of issues with
hardware drivers, but reason enough to stay away from the fiasco.

On 1/24/07, Hill, Greg <grhill at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> And who was the numbnuts that said AMD 64bit or true 64bit?  AMD is
> 64bit; the first time in known history that Intel has copied AMD's
> instruction set.  I suppose you meant itanium or sparc by 'true' 64bit?
> Sure, if you want to derail your performance, go ahead.

Thanks, for a second I though I was going to have to interject.

Regards,
Bryan Petty