Going 64 bit

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Jan 24 10:11:31 MST 2007

On 1/24/07, Hill, Greg <grhill at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> > I have had good experience with ECS - they are typically a lower-end,
> > cheaper mobo with lots of options included usually.  I personally
> > prefer Intel - if you can pay for top of the line processors, the
> > Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme is what you want - it actually has 4 cores in
> > one.  For budget (somewhat), I own the Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, which I
> > hear with a decent overclockable mobo can perform near that of the
> > Extreme.  The problem is no one is developing for quad core so you
> > won't see any huge benefit to the quad core for at least a little bit.
>
> I think you mean Core 2 Quadro for the 4 core version.  And I don't
> think anyone is too keen on spending $1000+ just for the proc.  When
> it's affordable, I'm definitely excited to try it out.

No, I mean the Core 2 Extreme - it has 4 cores:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115011

Having a decent mobo that supports Core 2 duo though ought to support
it when it goes down in price and more software is available to take
advantage of the 4 cores.  The Quadro's good, too.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl
#y,d,s,(\$.),$1,gee,print