Going 64 bit

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Jan 24 07:52:00 MST 2007

On 1/23/07, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> Forgive the cross-post to UPHPU and PLUG, please.  I'm going 64 bit!
> I'll start with a cheap motherboard with integrated sound/video/nic (no
> modem please).  This will help offset the cost of getting new RAM,
> motherboard, and CPU all at once.  I have parts enough to put together
> the rest of the system.
>
> Any recomendations?

I have had good experience with ECS - they are typically a lower-end,
cheaper mobo with lots of options included usually.  I personally
prefer Intel - if you can pay for top of the line processors, the
Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme is what you want - it actually has 4 cores in
one.  For budget (somewhat), I own the Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, which I
hear with a decent overclockable mobo can perform near that of the
Extreme.  The problem is no one is developing for quad core so you
won't see any huge benefit to the quad core for at least a little bit.

If you want true 64-bit, don't forget dual-channel RAM, SLI with dual
graphics cards, RAID capabilities, and I'm sure I'm missing a few
other things you can run 2 pieces of hardware at once on.  I
personally like Newegg and have had good luck with their prices and
support.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl