Make WAN address always respond as such (iptables rules?)

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Jan 22 18:00:01 MST 2007

Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> To make this just a little more clear:  If my web server is on my
> local network at home and my router is forwarding port 80 to it, I
> want to be able to go to http://andrew.jorgensenfamily.us/ from home
> or from work and get the same thing (without any fun DNS magic).  With
> my old netgear router that worked great.  With OpenWRT I get the
> router's config page, which I'd still like to be able to get to if I
> go to http://192.168.0.1/

That seems doable with iptables.  My router can't do that and I have to
use separate DNS servers for inside vs. outside the network.  (Although
with tinydns, maintaining internal DNS isn't hard.)

What does iptables -L tell you?  Do the forwarding rules specify an
--in-interface (-i)?  Maybe you can just eliminate that part of the
conditions.

I haven't used OpenWRT myself, so I don't know how much of iptables is
available to you.

Shane