Make WAN address always respond as such (iptables rules?)

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:41:43 MST 2007

Ever since I upgraded to a Linksys router running OpenWRT I've been
wondering how I can get it to do something I really liked about my old
Netgear router:  Make the WAN address always respond the same way from
the inside (LAN) as it does from the outside (Internet).  For
instance, if i hit port 80 on the router's outside address I want it
to forward me to the web server behind the router whether I'm away
from home or not.  As it is now trying to connect to the WAN address
always gets me the same thing as if I had tried to connect to the
router's LAN address, even though the IP's are different.

To put that in terms of firewall rules I want the packets destined for
the WAN address to be processed by the rules for the WAN interface
regardless of which interface they came in on... I think.

If that didn't make sense please ask a clarifying question.  I tried,
really I did.  Is there some way to make this happen?