Increased Job Postings?

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Thu Jan 18 11:57:35 MST 2007

Steve wrote:

> Personally I'm against using a seperate moderated list for Job
> postings.  I think it would significantly reduce the number of job
> postings coming through, even if it did up the quality a little.  To
> be honest, most employers look at a list like PLUG as more of an after
> thought (Hey we've got a job and it's usin teh intarwebz lets git us
> some of dem talent Linux folks over on teh plug list)
> And if you raise the bar you're going to stop what may be very
> interesting jobs from coming through and doing so based solely on the
> writing skills of the person relaying the job info, who may or may not
> be the person actually looking for someone to fill the slot.
>
> Regards,

A moderated job list does not force people to post there.  On UPHPU,
most job postings come through the proper list, but occasionally one
will post to the main list.  It might be because they:

 * Want to get around the moderation on the main list
 * Didn't know the other list existed (or... too lazy to look for it... )

But either way, I doubt it will decrease the jobs posted to the list.
They can either get around the moderation and post to the main list
anyway, or they can be ignorant of the other list and post to it
anyway.  Of course, most of them (and this says something about the
company's quality) will use the job posting list, if the UPHPU job list
indicates anything on how employers use lists to post jobs.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org