Looking for advice on a NAS

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Thu Jan 18 10:19:48 MST 2007

Ok, so our business has grown to the point we need a relatively large
NAS (2ish TB should do for now.. )

I have been doing a lot of research on the various options out there,
and have decided that we want a NAS, not a SAN, but I can't decide
which kind I ought to get.

I want hot-swappable hard drives, RAID (mirrored, striped, or
combination), and would prefer 1U form factor, but would accept 3U.
Whatever it is it has to be rack mountable.

I see there are several FLOSS projects out there that let you take
commodity hardware and create a drop-in NAS (FreeNAS (1), NASLite
(2), and OpenFiler (3)), but I am not all that impressed with any of
them.

So, I'm wondering what PLUGgers suggest - should I a) use a
commercial internet appliance (and if so, what do you recommend) or
b) build my own box and slap a NAS project like one of the
aforementioned projects on it - and again, if so, what project would
you use?

Thanks!

--Kimball

1 - http://www.freenas.org/