questions about mounting a remote folder

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Tue Jan 16 09:09:28 MST 2007

James Lance wrote:
> On Monday 15 January 2007 12:54 pm, Hill, Greg wrote:
>> I would like to set up a shared folder on my server that both my wife
>> and her parents can access remotely to send files back and forth.
>

> You might want to take a look at www.ifolder.com

If your shared folder is on a Linux box, maybe a web-based file sharing
solution would be most convenient for everyone involved.

Here's what I would do: Set up an OpenVPN server on your Linux server.
Install an OpenVPN client on your in-laws' desktop(s). After they
connect to the OpenVPN server, they'll be able to browse to your Samba
shares as if they were connected to the local area network at your
location. This way, you don't need to worry about the security
implications of exposing a Samba server to the public.

This isn't a whole lot different, tho, from an SSHFS solution or using
FileZilla or WinSCP on Windows clients, except that you'd be using a
Samba solution, which is designed for file services.

  "For Sale. Three canaries of undermined sex."
     -- Seen in a newspaper ad