seeking radio hacking advice

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 12:06:59 MST 2007

One other thing,
This may have been because I was living in orem at the time, but I
also used to recieve airtraffic control from provo airport when I was
growing up.
I did this by taking a really old TV, again from the 70's or 80's, the
kind with the tuner nobs.  This one had a fine tune adjustment wheel
on the outside of the primary tuning nob.
Anyways I would just turn the TV to channel 80, on UHF, and then mess
with the fine tune wheel until I could hear the air traffic
controller.
Thats what gave me the idea for "ye olde alarm clock mod" and the
signal from the alarm clock was significantly clearer IIRC.  But hey
if you're jonesing for a fix, I think everyone on the planet has one
of these old TV's in a garage somewhere :D

Regards,
Steve

p.s. As to my earlier comment about "you can't use an FM tuner"  I
should have said you "shouldn't" use an FM tuner.  Thats just for
quality, since AM signals will propegate just fine in FM space, but
the FM signal causes major distortion.
Maybe so much so as to make it nearly impossible to calibrate.