seeking radio hacking advice

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:53:34 MST 2007

No, you'll not be able to mess with an FM radio and tune AM traffic.
However AM radios especially if you can find an AM older AM radio, at
like DI or savers or something, are a deffinite candidate.

Here's what you do.
The "tuner" in an AM radio is really just a variable capacitor.
That capacitor is set to be variable within range x to y.
This setting is or at least used to be, set using little tiny screws
inside the "tuner"
These are typically easily accessible.
Just turn the radio on,

Tune it to the lowest range it will reach.
Then insert a screwdriver into one of (note this will be trial and
error) the little holes in the tuner and turn very, very slowly, until
you start hearing traffic from the highest end of the spectrum.
Then turn the dial all the way to the max, and do the same thing
(probably going to be a different screw this time), until you hear the
out of band traffic you are looking for.

I recommend looking for an older AM radio, possibly from the 70s or
80s before "digital tuning" was common.  For ease of adjustment I've
found the older analog clock radios to be the best bet, and those with
multiband (am/fm/TV) are a sure fire candidate since Air Traffic
Control operates (or at least it used to operate) just out side the TV
spectrum and uses AM.

I hope thats helpful,

Regards,