seeking radio hacking advice

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Jan 15 10:32:32 MST 2007

I'd like to listen to "airband" traffic. That's 108-137 MHz amplitude
modulated.

They sell scanners that cover airband, but they start at $80 minumum and
I'm much too cheap for that at the moment.

I've found a few options.

First, I see a couple of people vaguely recommending that if you take a
radio with an analog tuning wheel, and do some funny stuff to the
inductance coils or something or other then it will magically tune
airband instead of FM. Frankly I don't understand this but it sounds
promising.

Second is to build something like this:
http://hans.fugal.net/tmp/ajp.html (his site annoyingly circumvents deep
linking with silly javascript, so I mirrored it) I can go to Radio Shack
and buy parts, and I know my way around a soldering gun, so I think I
could do this. It looks like fun and not too big a project. But are
there special techniques to winding or anything else that will make any
attempt by novice me a likely failure? If Radio Shack doesn't have the
TBA820 can I use some other amplifier? etc.

Third is to get lucky on eBay.

Basically I'm looking for someone to answer my silly questions as they
come up so I can have a fun learning experience. I know there's a few
HAM operators in here and others with experience in this sort of thing.

And if anyone has a scanner that does the VHF frequencies listed above
and just wants to give it to me, I wouldn't balk at that either. :-)

Just to keep it on topic, I'd like to hook up my gadget to the computer
running linux and broadcast what I pick up for KLRU at LiveATC.net.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach