triple boot

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Jan 12 16:35:29 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 15:42 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> I had a dual boot laptop - Windows/Fedora.  I wanted to play with
> Ubuntu last weekend.  Long story short I shrunk the Windows partition
> and since I could only partition the hard drive in four I used the new
> partition for Ubuntu and I used the swap for Fedora.  I want to get
> the data from the Fedora partition, but it is says "unknown filesystem
> type 'LVM2_member'".  How can I get data from the Fedora partition?

It sounds like Fedora used LVM (Logical Volume Management) for its root
partition. If so, you will have to mount the LVM volumes rather than the
physical partitions. See if "lvscan" returns a list. If so, mount those
volumes up instead and you should have your data.

Example:

        [root at pheasant ~]# lvscan
          ACTIVE            '/dev/vg0/home' [30.00 GB] inherit
          ACTIVE            '/dev/vg0/swap0' [1.50 GB] inherit

Corey