Apple Computers, Inc. is no more!

Doran Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Thu Jan 11 20:27:22 MST 2007

Daniel C. wrote:
> On 1/11/07, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
>> I know one person who bought one.  Their only purchasing criterion was
>> to get something that wasn't an iPod.  I could have given them a few
>> more choices if they had asked me, but oh, well. :)
>
> I'd like something that isn't an iPod.  Suggestions?

For Christmas 2005, everyone at Iodynamics each got an iAudio X5. These
feature 20GB drives, generic USB 2.0 mass-storage, lithium-ion battery,
playback of MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, and WAV as well as xvid-encoded AVI
video. The X5 has a built-in microphone and can record directly to MP3.
It can also record directly to MP3 from a line-in source. I've used mine
dozens of times to get soundboard recordings at concerts with great results.

The user-interface is not as nice as the iPod (but what is?), but it's
functional. One of the Iodynamics guys got an X5L 30G for Christmas 2006
because he wanted more space and a bigger battery.

The X5 hardware is also Rockbox-compatible (as are older iPods, if I
understand correctly).

-=Fozz

  "For Sale. Three canaries of undermined sex."
     -- Seen in a newspaper ad