Sun Java on Linux Setup for Stud Muffins

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:31:33 MST 2007

On 1/8/07, Hill, Greg <grhill at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> > 4) Override the bull crap GNU gij version of java that came with your
> > distro.
> >   - Append the following lines to your ~/.bash_profile file (or
> > /etc/profile, or /etc/profile.d/):
> >   export JDK_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0
> >   export JAVA_HOME=$JDK_HOME
> >   export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> >   - Save the file
> >   - Restart your desktop environment (if applicable), or logout and
> > login to a new shell.
>
> Any reason not to just do this?
> source ~/.bash_profile
>
> Seems easier than logging in again, but maybe there's some technical
> limitation of which I am unaware.
>
> Greg

No, you are absolutely right.  You can just source your .bash_profile.
 However, you'll have to do this for each new console you open.  Your
.bash_profile is not re-read by are new instance of gnome-terminal nor
konsole.  Restarting, gnome or kde will alow the change to cascade to
all new instances of your console.

If anyone knows another way of doing this (save, adding source
.bash_profile in your .bashrc), I'd love to know.