Sun Java on Linux Setup for Stud Muffins

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Jan 8 19:47:58 MST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 05:04:11PM -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> After dealing with the same type of questions about installing Java on
> Linux, I've decided to post instructions on how to do it the ubber
                                                               ^^^^^

That's uber, with an umlaut.

Misspellings are decidedly not cool.

> cool way (aka the way I do it).  The way I do it is heavy handed and
> flies in the face of traditional package management on your distro of
> choice, but nonetheless it is the most bull crap free way of getting
> Java running quickly and correctly.
>
> If you disagree with the way I set things up then just remember, you
> and wrong, and I am right.

And oh, so tactful.

> Now, with no further ado, here are the steps:

If your disty has alternatives, you should run it to get the internal
setup to play correctly with the new java. For example, I have the
jpackage version of tomcat, but it picks up java 1.5 for compiling
JSPs, so I can use enums in them. See
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~djm/ubuntu/#sun-java

Of course Edgy Eft users can simply follow those instructions and
belay all the pseudo-macho uber-cool stuff.