CMake

Bryan Petty etierra at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:39:15 MST 2007

On 1/5/07, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I just noticed that KDE uses CMake to do builds. At my company we've
> been looking for a decent alternative to make. Would anyone with
> experience with CMake care to comment on its quality?

Depends on if you care about cross-platform development or not.

CMake and Scons are both radically different approaches to
cross-platform build systems, and there's also the Bakefile [1] route
that the wxWidgets project uses to generate makefile, Visual Studio
project files, Borland, and other IDE project files so all target
platforms have a single build configuration file with all options. I
hear CMake can work close to the same, though I've never used it.

If you aren't working in a cross-platform environment, I don't really
think CMake is necessary, I'd look closer into using Scons as I think
it would provide a much easier to use build system for single platform
use.

Regards,
Bryan Petty