Tweaking MythTV

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Jan 3 06:08:04 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 15:26 -0700, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> Without motion acceleration you may struggle.  Try selecting different
> de-interlacing options or turning it off.

Most 1080i is unwatchable without de-interlacing.  But Myth isn't
de-interlacing and it's still WAY slower than mplayer.

>   You can also select to use
> the libmpeg2 decoder rather than mythtv's and that could improve
> playback.  The best recommendation is to compile mythtv yourself.
> Myth's configure has a --enable-proc-opt (I believe that's the option)
> that will build the internal decoder and optimize it for your CPU.  If
> you don't do this it's hard to get HD working well on a box like the
> 3200.  I always recommended a 3400 or 3500 as the minimum for HD
> playback and to use an nvidia card.  Let us know how it works out for
> you.

I doubt I'll go to that trouble since I'm saving up for a lixsystems
htpc with an AM2 dual core.  For now, I'm just transcoding to 720p divx
for my standalone divx player, using mplayer to playback myth recordings
from the computer, and waiting for my TV that has an HD tuner for live
playback.  I only have a XP 1800+, so even though mplayer is mostly
watchable, I'm doubtful compiling myth from source would be worth the
effort.

Thanks for all the comments!

Barry Roberts