HDTV Antenna

Brandon Beattie brandon+plug at beatties.us
Tue Jan 2 15:34:46 MST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:03:17AM -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Jeff Nyman <Jeff.Nyman at caselle.com> wrote:
> >Does anyone know what the HD reception would be like in the Payson area?
>
> Have a look at http://antennaweb.org/
>
> Also, I looked it up myself and I'm sorry to say you're not going to
> have much luck without a really nice antenna pointed in just exactly
> the right direction and probably one of the nicer HD tuners.
>
> I could be wrong.

There was a movement 6 months ago to petition utah county government to
install a translator for reception in the valley.  It never quite got
off the ground but we had KSL backing it. (It never got off the ground
because the guy doing it got sidetracked and I stopped looking for a
home where reception would be bad, but since I've settled on saratoga
springs)
I'll be following any leads I get to start another petition if others
want to help out.  I think it's only a matter of time before the demand
for HD reception in utah county improves.  Eagle Mountain, Saratoga
Springs, Lehi (Which is to be the largest city in Utah in 10 years),
Highland, Springville Spanish Fork and Payson pretty much have little if any HD
reception.  The tower used is on Kings Peak which for the most part can
only be received between american fork and north springville for utah
county.  The city's opinion has been that people should go to
dish/directTV if you want HD which is just wrong.  There may be a chance
that some areas could petition their cities to force their cable
companies to send all the unencrypted HD channels over their lines, but
right now the law only requires NTSC channels not ATSC/DTV channels.

Best advice is buy a good antenna and make sure who you get it from has
a good return policy.

I often point people to these two pages:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
http://www.atechfabrication.com/tests.htm

--Brandon