Qworst DSL Modem

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Jan 2 14:43:56 MST 2007

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Jordan S. Jones wrote:

> I know this subject has been discussed a number of times, but either my
> searching skills suck or what I am looking for hasn't been asked before. My
> parents have the Arescom NetDSL800 with the MSN/Qwest DSL. This christmas I
> bought them a Tivo and was looking to attach it to their home network. This
> is great until I discovered that their DSL modem doesn't allow more than 1
> computer to be attached at 1 time. Meaning, their DHCP pool has exactly the
> range of 192.168.1.2/32. So, I am looking for the following solutions.
>
> Short Term: A Utah county company that sells DSL filters so that their new
> Tivo can communicate over the phone line.
>
> Long Term: A new DSL modem that will allow for more computers, or any
> alternate solution with the same result.

I imagine that any number of members here have a handful of DSL filters
(including myself) that you could have.

I have the Qwest DSL modem that you mentioned.  I do not use it for
routing though.  I have a NetGear router attached to it that does all the
routing for all my many network devices.  Works great.

Actually, I recently had to pull the router off and while it is off I have
put a plain switch in place of it.  The Arescom modem is still handing out
plenty of IP's for all my devices.  I have not changed the DHCP defaults.
Yours should be able to handle what you want.

Jonathan