Tweaking MythTV

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Mon Jan 1 09:07:39 MST 2007

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 23:39 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> On the box I used until recently, compiling in XVMC support helped
> enough to make *some* HDTV programs watchable.  Most shows still
> stuttered.  The box had an Athlon 64 3200+ and a GeForce 6200.  SDTV and
> analog worked very well.

Yowsers.  I'm getting new hardware, but it's frustrating that I can get
mplalyer to work OK, but can't tweak mythtv to get by with my current
system.

> As a workaround, I set MythTV to transcode all HDTV programs
> automatically to a lower resolution.  The transcoding takes a long time,
> but the real problem with that solution is that when the signal fades,
> the transcoder isn't very forgiving and drops a lot of the recording.

That's what I'm doing now.  Or just recording with myth and then
watching with mplayer.

> FWIW, the new 5200+ CPU with a GeForce 7300 plays and scales HDTV in
> real time with only 30% CPU utilization, meaning approximately 60% of 1
> core is in use.  Interestingly, XVMC doesn't reduce the utilization.

I have a Radeon 9600pro, so XvMC isn't an option.  I think I can
scrounge up an old AGP Nvidia card and try XvMC.

Thanks!
Barry Roberts