Resizing ntfs partition

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 21:41:44 MST 2007

On 2/28/07, Andrew Jorgensen <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:
> > > Also, because defrag is running while the drive is mounted and the OS
> > > is using it, some blocks are marked as unmovable because they belong
> > > to files that are currently opened by the OS.  An offline,
> > > memory-resident defrag would be necessary to completely shift the
> > > drive's contents.
> >
> > Such as "Partition Magic"?  Amazing application.
>
> Actually, according to the ntfsresize FAQ there are conditions where
> the commercial resizing tools don't work but ntfsresize should.
>
> http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

I've only had problems once with the GParted LiveCD when working with
multiple partitions - 2 NTFS & one ext3 - about 3 months ago.  Can't
recall much more than that right now, other than resorting to a
commercial tool to fix what the GParted LiveCD screwed up.

The point I'd stress is simply to _backup the entire drive_ first.

ntfsresize isn't perfect, nor a cure-all.  It's pretty darn cool,
though.  Try googling

ntfs gparted livecd problem

The previous link cited shows up, along with different problems
experienced when resizing NTFS partitions.  I'm sure others could cite
problems using ntfsresize _and_ commercial products.  Just backup
before resizing partitions, whatever is used.
--
Lars