UUG Meeting March 1st -- Security

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Tue Feb 27 15:19:47 MST 2007

Where: 340 CTB, BYU Campus
When: 7:30pm
Title: "Everything That Everyone Should Know About Internet Security"

What makes it so you're safe when you use your credit card online? How
can you securely transfer data between machines? How can you send an
email and know that no one else is reading it? Topher Fischer will
present to us about Internet Security, helping us understand these
principles and how to use them.

We will start at the basics of cryptography by covering hash functions,
symmetric encryption, and Public-Key encryption.  We then talk about how
these principles fit into encrypted email, certificates, and certificate
authorities.  Then we'll quickly cover how SSL/TLS works, and how it
protects against Man-in-the-Middle attacks (and how these attacks can be
performed).

General Linux help will be available from 7 to 7:20pm.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net