Resizing ntfs partition

Dan Stovall dbstovall at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:29:51 MST 2007

On 2/26/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've used GParted many times to resize NTFS partitions (I don't know
> if this is what Mandriva uses).
>
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
>
> Once you do the resize, I think a forced scandisk runs when you first
> boot back into Windows.  After that, Windows will go through a quick
> and automatic "detect new hardware" gyration when the desktop loads.
> I've resized NTFS with GParted on four different XP machines and none
> of them had any problems.  YMMV.
>
> -Bryan

I used Gparted recently for something similar.  It works well, and the
interface is pretty intuitive.  You can even burn a live CD that will
automatically boot to GParted so you don't need a functioning linux
partition to install GParted to.  My only problem, when windows boots
back up it does some check disk with the fix option automatically
defaulted.  It actually blew away all my Windows DRM license files.
It was a pain to get them restored so that my wife's MP3s could even
be transfered from Windows to her MP3 player.  Obviously, make sure
that you back up everything important in Windows before resizing.

Dan

--
I swear Power Point is going to be the downfall of higher education in
western society.