Soldering Expert

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Mon Feb 26 16:29:26 MST 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007 16:19, James Lance wrote:
> I'm looking for some one who is really comfortable with soldering small
> items. I was doing a hard drive replacement on an ibook, and the power
> switch plug on the mainboard came off.  The repair itself looks fairly
> straight forward aside from the size.  The two leads are very close
> together and are quite small.
>
> So I'm looking for someone who can give me a hand, or some place local that
> specializes at that sort of thing.
>
> I've attached an image, it is a little fuzzy, but should give a general
> idea of what I'm talking about.  The item is just a little larger than a
> jumper.

If you want a professional to do it, there is a prototype shop in Orem, west
of Orem Businesspark (Geneva and Univ. Parkway) that will do it.  I've had
them exchange smt parts on motherboards for me a few times.  I'll try and
remember their name.

If you call in advance, you can probably get them to squeeze you in and charge
you for only 1/2 hour of work ($20 bucks maybe).  It'll probably take one of
their techs under a minute--meanwhile they're nice guys and will probably
give you a tour of their shop.

From the photo, however, it looks like a simple enough fix that any decent
amateur with a good soldering gun could manage.