[OT] Radioactivity

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Feb 23 14:45:42 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:56 -0700, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:41 -0700, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > The rats immune systems were so weak because the irradiated food they
> > were used to was so pure that the body couldn't handle typical bacteria
> > or other germs in regular food?
>
> I believe you are correct.  Based on that anecdote, I think we can say
> that irradiation of food is a good idea only if used wisely and on
> selective, high-risk foods.  For example, irradiating any kind of meet,
> or something with long proteins that can make us sick when they go bad,
> is a great idea.  But we need to make sure we're still getting our fresh
> fruits and veggies, and that we do allow ourselves to be exposed to
> bacteria, germs, viruses, etc, so that we can maintain our immune
> systems.  Irradiating all our food would be a bad idea.

In theory, I think that's not a bad idea. I'm not personally afraid of
irradiated meat. Despite that, I don't think irradiation is a good
practice. People and companies will start treating irradiation as a
silver bullet. We already have issues with cross-contamination and
mishandled food (e.g the e. coli outbreaks, the salmonella peanut
butter). Why should we believe these same companies are going to do
better knowing they have irradiation to fall back on. So a little cow
turd gets in the meat, doesn't matter. We'll nuke it. Lowest price at
any cost, that's the American way.

Corey