Home Automation

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Feb 22 16:44:58 MST 2007

Daniel C. wrote:
> On 2/22/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> Ethernet over power lines is a way better idea.  Surely it's now
>> possible to combine TCP/IP, ethernet, and some of the power line
>> communication circuitry in a $10 integrated circuit.  That would be a
>> money maker, I think.
>>
>> Shane
>
> Isn't there a huge amount of noise on most power lines?

Yes.  Maybe you could just send every packet 3 or more times.  Or maybe
instead of ethernet, the protocol should include error correction.  In
any case, I think there's a big market that no one has quite captured
yet.  Whatever replaces X10 has to be open, secure, reliable,
expressive, and inexpensive.  It doesn't need to support high bandwidth
or long distances, since existing network infrastructure already covers
that.

Shane