Home Automation

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Feb 22 16:19:31 MST 2007

Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 2/20/07, C. Ed Felt <ed at thefelts.net> wrote:
>>      * I would like to avoid X10, if possible, and stick to IP, or actual
>>        wired relay based solutions (if it's not too expensive).
>
> Why avoid X10?  It seems to be pretty well supported in Linux and
> power-line carrier really does seem the right way to go to control
> stuff that's already connected to power.

I have found it unreliable.  There seems to be a lot of packet loss, yet
no feedback, no retries, and no security.  The idea is good, but the
protocol is too simplistic.

Ethernet over power lines is a way better idea.  Surely it's now
possible to combine TCP/IP, ethernet, and some of the power line
communication circuitry in a $10 integrated circuit.  That would be a
money maker, I think.

Shane