User lockdown

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 22 15:12:37 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 14:31 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> We have installed Edubuntu in an elementary lab on a trial basis.  We
> want to lock the student account down so that they can only get to
> Firefox and OpenOffice.  We don't want them to get to the terminal nor
> any other services.  We want the on-site tech to be able to administer
> the boxes.  The tech would either log in as root or as the tech and
> then have root capabilities.  Is there someone who can help out with
> this or point me in the direction of a RELIABLE tutorial?

You might want to looking setting up a chroot jail for this user that
has all the libraries and utilities needed to run these two apps, but no
shells, etc.

Another alternative is to write a simple launcher program that is
launched by xinit and becomes the user's "shell," replacing the gnome
desktop, etc.

Also search google for premade kiosk setups for edubuntu.