[OT] Radioactivity

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 12:28:37 MST 2007

On 2/22/07, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Given this, I wonder why people object to pebble bed reactors.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor
>
> They seem like a dream come true for environmentalists, yet Greenpeace
> seems to hate nuclear reactors in all forms.  I don't get it.
>
> Shane

Because environmentalists are, by and large, complete morons.  Their
agenda, in order of importance, is:

Having conniption fits on a regular basis
Raising absurd amounts of money
Saving the environment

You'll note that "collecting and analyzing data for purposes of making
an informed decision" isn't on there.  Patrick Moore (the founding
member of Greenpeace, not the xylophone-playing astronomist) has a lot
to say on the issue of environmentalist insanity:

"By the mid-1980s, the environmental movement had abandoned science
and logic in favor of emotion and sensationalism." [1]

His web site, if anyone is interested, is greenspirit.com.  There's
also a good Wikipedia article on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore_(environmentalist)

He supports GM foods, the logging industry, nuclear power, and is very
cautious when he makes statements about global warming.  I recommend
giving the papers on his site a read if you have time.

Dan

[1] Moore, Patrick. "Environmental Movement Has Lost Its Way", Miami
Herald, January 28, 2005.