[OT] Radioactivity

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Feb 22 11:34:08 MST 2007

Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> writes:
> Given this, I wonder why people object to pebble bed reactors.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor
> They seem like a dream come true for environmentalists, yet Greenpeace
> seems to hate nuclear reactors in all forms.  I don't get it.

Well, environmentalists are not always completely rational, but there
do seem to be some reasons to object to these.  Probably the biggest
is that they generate a higher volume of nuclear waste, which must
later be safely contained for a very, very long time.

One could probably come up with an objection of similar magnitude for
any new energy technology, since pretty much nothing is completely
'clean'.  I guess they prefer the devil they know to the devil they