Radioactivity

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:12:14 MST 2007

On 2/21/07, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> The location of the reactor was on the south end of campus, partway up
> the hill below the Benson Building. I believe there are some remains of
> the structure there to this day.  Most people who see it assume it's a
> storage shed for the gardening equipment.  I've always wanted to take a
> Geiger counter and go see if it is radioactive at all.

I'm not aware of the location you mention but I know that there's some
kind of reactor in the underground lab (north? of the Eyring Science
Center).  It's surrounded by some kind of low cinder-block wall.  I've
heard, but can't confirm, that it's never been used because the NRC
never approved it.  Someone who worked for the physics department
longer than I can probably weigh in on that.