Radioactivity

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:02:11 MST 2007

On 2/22/07, Daniel C. <dcrookston at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, question.  I have always been under the impression that being
> exposed to radiation does not make you radioactive, just like being
> exposed to light doesn't make you glow.  Is this true?

That depends entirely on the type of radiation.  If I went into detail
I'd just show how little I actually know about the specifics but
basically some kinds of radiation won't do anything to you and other
kinds will damage your cells and / or change the structure of your
atoms (in some cases causing them to decay).

The EPA has a pretty good site explaining all this:
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand/