[OT] Radioactivity

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:56:37 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:41 -0700, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> The rats immune systems were so weak because the irradiated food they
> were used to was so pure that the body couldn't handle typical bacteria
> or other germs in regular food?

I believe you are correct.  Based on that anecdote, I think we can say
that irradiation of food is a good idea only if used wisely and on
selective, high-risk foods.  For example, irradiating any kind of meet,
or something with long proteins that can make us sick when they go bad,
is a great idea.  But we need to make sure we're still getting our fresh
fruits and veggies, and that we do allow ourselves to be exposed to
bacteria, germs, viruses, etc, so that we can maintain our immune
systems.  Irradiating all our food would be a bad idea.

In any case, the food isn't radioactive, at least no more than normal.
And so far as I know we're not glowing in the dark!