backing up a petabyte

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Wed Feb 21 16:46:45 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:04:08PM -0700, Ryan Byrd wrote:
> What about backing up that that petabyte? What do mozy/myfamily.com/byu cs
> dept/others do for backups? A tape robot? Optical (DVD?) writers? Written to
> another SAN?

CS Department is mirroring to an external RAID array of SATA disks with
rsync, using the hard links option for incremental backups. After the
first big backup, the incremental changes are actually pretty quick.

Of course, we have much less than a petabyte.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net