Jobs: Openings at Omniture

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Feb 21 13:38:20 MST 2007

Everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I was not involved in the hiring process of Blake, so I
do not know the circumstances of his employment. All I can do is tell everyone why I
think Omniture is a really great company to work for and let them decide.

Why I like Omniture:

1) The people. From the executives down they are professional, nice, and just plain
good to work with. Omniture's hiring mantra is: "Mean people suck." And they do,
they really do. If any Omniture employee (including Blake) doesn't fit that mantra,
they won't last long here.

2) The technology. Omniture runs one of the ten largest MySQL installations in the
world. We do 180,000,000,000 SQL queries daily. We have really good gear, no
cork-board servers here. At nearly 9,000 Linux servers I believe you will not find
many other places in the Orem/Provo area that offer a similar opportunity. With
things like our expanding SAN fabric it is just getting better. The recent thread
asking how to store a petabyte is a good example. Omniture has well beyond that
amount in on-line storage alone. I could go on here, Omniture is doing some amazing
things. Our customers purchased the best and we are going to build the right system
to support them.

3) The work environment. When Omniture throws a party you don't miss it. It is very
much a work hard play hard atmosphere. I walk in the doors in the morning and feel
ready to tackle the day.

4) Omniture rocks the competition. Omniture is changing the game in our space. Our
competitors have been unable to match our moves. Who wants to play for a loosing
team? We have blacked out the rear-view mirror and we are driving like crazy.

5) Long term vision. Omniture isn't out there making snap decisions and driving the
bottom line next quarter. Their goal is long-term growth. They are making the best
decisions they can now so two or three years from now we will be in a singularly
unique position in our space. This concept reaches every aspect of how the company
is managed. Omniture is interested in keeping me around for years and years, not
just for the "Utah tech" average of 18 months.

The list goes on. Omniture is a really great place to work, especially if you love
Linux, open source technologies, and want to use them in a professional setting. All
I can do is provide my personal experience. No company is perfect, yet striving for
perfection is how an organization reaches excellence. I've worked at other companies
where the management had the right message, but the wrong actions. At Omniture the
message is consistent with what happens. Omniture does what it says.

Above all, I believe people can change. They might need to break old associations to
do that. Switching companies can be a great time to fix yourself. Place your pointy
finger right between your eyes and ask: "What is wrong with me and how can I do
better?"

Thanks,
-Ryan