Home Automation

blr at robertsr.us blr at robertsr.us
Wed Feb 21 10:04:37 MST 2007

> On 2/21/07, Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:
>
> Vista Media Center now supports HDTV (previous XP versions didn't) -
> I've never tried to make a DVD or VCD off of HDTV though.  I imagine
> you could probably at least convert the video to another format and
> burn it if not.  My biggest frustration however is that there is no
> way to get the HDTV from your cable or satellite box to your PC in
> HDTV form.  It all has to be over-the-air for that to happen.

Digital cable or satellite can require more tweaking with MythTV than I
was willing to do.  IR output sounds like a pain.

The other thing I remember was that it was a lot more trouble or
impossible to  rip DVD's.  Myth lets me rip to DivX (or anything, really),
or with a one-line script I can vobcopy the whole dvd with menus, extras,
etc.  IIRC Windows Media had some serious restrictions there, also.

Barry Roberts