How to store a petabyte?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Wed Feb 21 07:35:20 MST 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 02:04:21AM -0600, Frank Sorenson wrote:

> Do you have lots of datacenter space that you really need to use up, or
> does physical size matter (I mean, you're talking about solutions that take
> up nearly 50 racks!!!)?  What are your power and cooling capacities and
> costs in your datacenter?  With that much hardware, your Environmentals are
> going to become a factor.  What are your maintenance and support costs?

Obviously the less costly the better. First we have to figure out how to
actually store the data and use it. From there the questiosn of "where to put
it" and "how much it'll cost to put that all in a datacenter" become
fairly easy to answer.

> I suspect you don't already have 1PB of data to fill up all this storage
> right away, so can you use a phased approach that allows you to get some
> storage now, more later on, etc.?  Take advantage of falling costs,

Yes, he does (I work with Ryan, so I know what the project is about)

-Roberto

--
The means-and-ends moralists, or non-doers, always end up on their ends
without any means.